How to apply Epoxy floors DIY
PLEASE READ ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE BEGINNING. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GIVE US A CALL: 1.877.703.7699
TOOLS NEEDED TO DO YOUR PROJECT:
Cordless Drill or low variable speed electric drill – VERY IMPORTANT: NEVER MIX BY HAND
- Mixing Wand
- 1 – 5 gallon bucket for mixing
- Roller Frame, 9” or 18”
- 3/8” Nap Roller cover, 9” or 18”
- Spiked shoes, optional
- Notched Squeegee
- Diamond grinder machine (optional)
- Shop vac (recommended) or broom and dustpan
FOR BEST RESULTS
- Always use 3/8” nap size covers and roll out epoxy across floor eliminating any puddles.
- Fill all cracks with our EpoxyPRO 100% Solids Resin Floor Patch System.
KEEP IN MIND: Mix Parts A & B for no less than 4 MINUTES. Once mixed IMMEDIATELY pour all of the epoxy out onto the floor and then proceed quickly as coating will begin to set up in approximately 30 MINUTES.
Fill any existing cracks. Let dry according to product directions. When dry sand/diamond grind floor gently removing any old existing coatings. Sweep up and/or vacuum thoroughly. If you suspect any pre-existing contamination such as; Armour-All and/or other silicone products, oils and/or any other chemical contamination feel free to give us a call for further instructions.
PREPARATION BEFORE MIXING:
- Assemble poles, roller frames, covers & spiked shoes. Tape off baseboards at 1/16” from the floor.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Securely attach spiked shoes (optional use*) onto your shoes before mixing.
PLEASE NOTE: KIT packaging may vary. Materials (2 gallons Part A and 1 gallon Part B) may be packaged in a separate box or in the same box with the 5 gallon (part A) bucket.
STEP 1: MIXING EP PURE EPOXY
100% Solids 2 to 1 Ratio (2 Parts A to 1 Part B)
Mix Parts A & B (1-gallon part A to ½ gallon part B) for no less than 4 minutes.
STEP 2: POUR/SQUEEGEE:
Once mixed IMMEDIATELY pour out all of the epoxy into a long puddle at the furthest point of the room 6 inches from the wall. Begin the squeegee process of pushing the puddle from one side of the room to the other and working away from the starting point wall until floor is evenly and completely coated. You will have approximately 30 minutes to apply before coating starts to set up. Follow immediately with next step.
STEP 3: ROLL FINISH & TRIM BRUSH:
Roll out Squeegeed epoxy material until coating is even and to help with self-levelling, and then follow rolling by using a trim brush around the edges.
STEP 4: DECORATIVE CHIPS & NON-SKID BROADCAST:
Apply Fleck First: while walking in spiked shoes, fleck epoxy by hand throwing a golf ball size amount of chips toward the ceiling in an upward and underhanded motion allowing the chips to fall in a wide even pattern.
Apply Non-Slip Second: place aluminum oxide into a hand held “Scott’s” brand hand fertilizer broadcaster. Set on 1 or
2 and pull trigger while hand cranking evenly across the entire floor while walking in spiked shoes.
Epoxy Cure Time
Cure Time: 16 to 24 hours
* PLEASE NOTE:
- If choosing to wear spiked shoes please securely attach them to your shoes before mixing.
- Do NOT DRAG SPIKED SHOES across the wet epoxy. Carefully lift your feet up and down one at a time.
- Do NOT walk on wet epoxy without spiked shoes.
- Without the use of spiked shoes; to ensure enough work time mixing smaller batches of epoxy is recommended so that you can reach across sections of floor to squeegee, roll, fleck, broadcast (aggregate) smaller areas at a time while standing on concrete substrate. If working in smaller sections we recommend vacuuming up of any loose fleck and aggregate off of next concrete section to be coated before proceeding.
- Check coating surface for tackiness, approximate readiness; Light foot traffic: 12 hours/vehicles 24 hours.
- After 24 hours carry and set down – DO NOT DRAG – heavy items/equipment across freshly cured coating.
- Helpful Tip: Before starting your project add our phone number into your contacts for quick access just in case you need us! Need assistance? Call: 1. 877.703.7699